Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Walk to Remember

The moms that write some of the blogs i read, have been mentioning Walks to Remember.  A Walk to Remember (not the sappy movie) is an event for parents who have buried their children.

I have been meaning to find one here in the DC/Baltimore area.

Yesterday I did a search for "Walk to Remember infant loss" on Google.  It took me to october15th.com.  Their site lists all the states and the Walks in that state with their location, time, etc.  Their site lists that Prince William Hospital is hosting a walk on October 15th from 9-2.  It listed the sponsors site and contact info. 

The sponsors site, SIDS Mid-Atlantic, hasn't been updated since 2006, and the phone numbers listed are disconnected.  I jumped on the hospital's website to look for a calendar of events to see if they had an itinerary for the day.  Nothing.  I then called the hospital to see if maybe i was looking for something too far in advance, and was told they knew nothing of the event but they looked at the site i had originally found the information on and said they would look into it more.

I dont know why i got as upset as i did about this.  Maybe its becuase it got my hopes up.  Its a chance to meet other parents like us.  That have a love for our living children that is far greater than parents who have never buried their babies could ever understand.  Parents that know happily ever after is a joke.

I'm really hoping that the hospital figures this out and/or i can track down a damn phone number that works, and figure this out for myself.  If anybody out there in Baby Loss Land that is close to the Washington DC area has information about a Walk to Remember please email me: secasaleatgmaildotcom.

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, In Canada I only found one walk event located in Alberta. Its not well known here and sadly in BC there is hardly any support where families of loss can get together or meet up. The closest group support network is about 1 and half away from us and cant be managed with our work shcedules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting that you can't find anything in your area. Our walk to remember was put on by the local Children's Hospital and I believe on October 15th their is another walk also.
    Do you attend a grief group at all? I found out about this walk because of my grief group and through Hospice. My group is called the forget-me-nots but there should be groups everywhere and they would know about walks for sure if you can find one of them.
    Sorry not to helpful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky- I haven't looked at Children's Hospital yet. I was going to yesterday but with the earthquake that rocked us, B's nap time was cut short.
    I dont attend a grief group. I called the director of the local grief group not long after Parker died, seeing if there were other infant loss parents like myself; but was told the group was mostly parents who lost older children. I never went.

    ReplyDelete